OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Gunieas - Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them

The guineas have just turned into one big pain. They are roosting in the barn every night, making a mess, and then attacking the grain every time I attempt to feed the goats or donkey.
 
They also found out there were weak spots in the garden electric fence and have helped themselves to about half the tomatoes, and then ate bites out of every watermelon. I have spent too much time flushing them out.


Here's one hot on the run -


 These three large bowls are damaged food from the guineas; I then pick the veggies for the chickens. All of this hassle, however, there have been many copperheads this year in our area and three dogs have been bitten. We haven't seen a snake since getting the guineas and I'm sure our tick population is cut in a fraction, so I keep putting up with them.


I'm still left with a nice haul for today's salsa making plans.


Our green beans are a disappointment this year. They have strong fibers running through them; we call them "dental floss beans". I have not had that happen any other year, so I'm calling it quits with them, pulling them and putting something else in their space. Maybe another try at beans if it's not too late in the year.


I have a new crew for cutting bean ends this year, but they are little and tire quickly.


We had VBS all week, so things are piled high - off to make salsa because the tomatoes can't wait as long as the laundry.


                                                                         Jenny





1 comment:

  1. We've had tons of squash, zucchini, and black eyed peas. Only a few tomatoes, and 5 cantaloupes currently growing. I hope the cantaloupes make it, it will be a 1st for us! We planted many, many green beans, and they've been a flop. I've talked to farmers at the farmers market who have told me it's been a weird year for gardens.

    ReplyDelete