OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Barbies Galore

I have always disliked Barbies. In fact, for my 5th birthday, I clearly remember getting two Barbies and I didn't care for them at all. I always loved dolls and stuffed animals, but Barbies were not my thing. When Alei was little, I had no intention of buying the disproportionate plastic dolls for her, but once all her friends had them, it wasn't worth the fight. Alei, Moriah and Alyssa all played with Barbies for years. The basement at our old house had a playroom that was usually littered with small plastic Barbie shoes and an occasional decapitated Barbie head. I sucked up many a Barbie item with the shop-vac over the years. When we moved to our temporary home over four years ago, the Barbies all moved into the barn due to space shortage. Occasionally they would play with them in the barn loft, but overall they have just collected dust for the last several years.

Since Julia went to a friends house and played Barbies, she has brought them up several times. I don't let her play in the barn loft since I'm concerned she'll fall out the door, so it meant that the Barbies once again were going to litter my playroom floor. Actually it's worse than that since Tori and Julia are semi-scared of the basement. The Barbies are going to litter the girl's bed-room and spill out into the living room. So, last night, we hosted scrub the Barbies, the Barbie cars and the Barbie airplane in the driveway. Julia was pretty thrilled with the whole event. With the barn collection I just cleaned, I see no reason to donate any more money to the Barbie billionaires.


My favorite part of the cleaning event is when two of the ducks showed up and snatched a plastic Barbie item and tried to run with them. We chased them to get it back so they wouldn't choke on it. While Ben was in hot pursuit of the one duck, Tux waddled by with something on the edge of his mouth. I chased him down and pulled this item out of his throat.

He's certainly cute, but he's a high maintenance duck.

3 comments:

  1. oh yes...we have hit barbie mode here again also. would you believe i didnt save a one from rachel or elizabeth? i just got barbies out of my "collection" in the closet. so now abby has the wizard of oz (cheap set) barbies - all of them...even the little munchkins. but what i really liked is she wanted the "baby doctor" barbie. it's the pediatrician one. it was on sale this week. but all that was left was the black barbie one & i bought it. she didnt miss a bit. she even commented how she liked the "chocolate barbie because it had hair like hers." on a side note about barbies i think it is sad that they make even the black barbies not really "black" in regards to their hair. oh well. have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the fight not being worth it. I too was always kind of against what barbies stood for but really for our children it's just innocent play..so we have them too:)
    by the way...I'm from xanga: celebratinglifeandmotherhood

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm missing some of xanga's features, like the picture loading amd my xanga friends! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete