OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Garden and More

It's very possible that my mother will be the only excited person to see my garden, but I may be wrong (and if you bear with me and the garden shots, there are cute kids at the end of the post). Although I put the garden in late, the tomatoes and green beans are coming along nicely. I am pretty excited to see little green cherry tomatoes growing.

  
Here's my green bean bed. I just planted onions in the empty row yesterday.

  
Here is my completely out of control kiwi plant. It is really a sad kiwi tale, because about four years ago, we planted a male and female plant. At the end of the season when they died back, JD pulled the one thinking it was a dead tomato plant (probably literally the only time he has helped in the garden). Now the problem is that this one needs a partner, yet we do not know if it was the male or female (and no one can tell for sure.) Furthermore, Lowe's had them for sale this year, but the plants were unmarked. So, we have to build a trellis system for this plant along with it's two "still unlocated" partners to make sure we cover all the male and female combinations.  There was a bird nest in it again, so I had to wait until it was evacuated to trellis it.


Here's my other bed of large tomatoes - I love the smell of the tomato plants. 
 
  
The hose that I water with has a serious leak in the middle. I don't want it fixed at this point, however, because Elijah and Bella play in it while I weed and water the garden. After I was done and they were already soaked, I hooked up the little sprinkler and put it on the trampoline. I don't think I'd advise this with several children, but it was great fun for the two of them.

  
Elijah was disappointed that the water didn't cause it to be as slippery as he hoped, so he went in and put socks on to see if it would increase the slippery factor.



 I haven't shown my baby chicks, but we have had two successful spring hatchings. The first was 20 Rhode Island Reds, the second was a few Silkies and Americans. The Silkies are the coveted chickens because they stay very tame. Elijah got one of the new silkies as his own this year. When I told him that it would only be tame if he held it, he went and got his doctor gloves on in case the chicken pooped. If you are wondering, his name is "Black Ninja Silkie". 

He doesn't look too good in this picture, but I assure you that he is a healthy and happy chick.
 JD and I went on a dinner date the other night along with a lengthy trip to Lowe's for my new chicken fence supplies. While we already have a chicken mansion, they are about to get a fence to complement their coop. I am super excited to keep the chickens in during feeding and laying time and keep the guineas out!

1 comment:

  1. I never thought of growing kiwi!! The neighborhood bunny, whom we see every year (or it's descendants) ate the leaves off of our green bean plants...wonder if they will survivie.

    ReplyDelete