OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

CA Beach and VA Salsa

 






I knew I was going to be hitting the ground running once I got home from CA, because we must start school on Monday to be ready for CC starting the next Tuesday. In spite of working all summer, I am not quite ready for either.  
As if that isn't enough, the grass needed to be mowed, (which is all me this year since JD is building the garage), the back room of the basement finished clearing for karate, all four girls' hair needs to be done and a thousand smaller projects are staring at me. I continually have to remind myself of all we do get done, rather than the forever "needs to be done" list! 
I want to show a few pictures of the last day in San Diego, when we went to the beach. This is the military beach on Coronado, so nice and not crowded at all. The bonus was the helicopters patrolling overhead, which was additional excitement for Nathan.


Nathan and Alayna

"Go Daddy go"


It was my turn for the milk run to the Amish a few days after I got home. A friend went along to order a kitchen table. A nice thing about the Amish is that they let you hang out with their animals wherever we go. This little guy was staked by the furniture shop eating the edge of the corn field. He liked the kids and tried to follow when we left; he cried when he got to the end of his rope.


When we stopped at the Amish selling area in the library parking lot, I couldn't resist buying tomatoes to make a batch of hot salsa for JD. At this point, I had only made one round of mild. So in spite of not really having time, I bought 50 pounds of tomatoes.


Everyone "gets" to help - here was Elijah getting down the huge "salsa" pot we use. JD is the only onion and hot pepper chopper; it doesn't bother his eyes at all even when the rest of us flee the kitchen.


I got up at 6:30 a.m. to start the first batch. I finished the final canning at 8:30 p.m. My only break was a few hours in the afternoon that I took Bella to a birthday party and I left the salsa simmering.


50 pounds of tomatoes yielded 41 quarts of salsa. The total cost (not including jars) was right at $100 after buying the other ingredients. That comes out to about $2.50 for a quart. I believe that's a good deal, but it sure is so much better than store bought either way!


Back to my long list - Happy Saturday!                     Jenny



1 comment:

  1. DH is the only "hot" food person here. I canned green beans today, what little we had. Hope school is going smoothly!

    ReplyDelete