OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Jenny's Cereal Muffins

I have recently discovered a flaw in my large family feeding system. More and more I buy things in large bulk when I get them at a great price. The system is that the boys carry in all the groceries and the girls (including myself) put them all away. The problem was that I never taught anyone to pull the older items forward and restock the back items. This led to my canned food crises last month when I realized that we were eating tuna that didn't expire until 2013 while the 2010 tuna still sat in the back of the canned food cabinet. For now, I am putting the canned goods away myself and giving the cats expired tuna treats.

Today we are experiencing this issue in another form - cereal. This issue is really more an issue that I bought good, healthy cereals on sale and the kids just won't eat some of them. Although I do eat them, it's not been at near the rate that I stocked them. This is actually quite embarrasing, but here's my just expired cereal collection - (and any hope of an image I created of being an organized person!)

They are currently being turned into morning muffins box by box. The muffin turn out hasn't seemed to be much different even though I've used three different kinds. I adapted a recipe that was intended for bran muffins and have created Jenny's cereal muffins.
______

Jenny's Cereal Muffins:
-1 c. raisins (optional). If you use raisins, cover them in water and microwave one minute. Drain and set aside.

-2 eggs

-1 1/2 c. milk

-3 cups healthy cereal

-2 c. flour (any combo of white or whole wheat)

-2 tsp. baking soda

-2 tsp. cinnamon

-4 T. melted butter

-4 pieces of fruit, either apple or banana. (if using apple, core and shred it)

- 1 c. honey

So, preheat oven to 400. Grease or line 24 muffin cups. Beat the egg with the milk and then mix in the cereal. Let the mixture stand 5-10 minutes until the cereal absorbs the liquid. Gently mix in the raisins, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, butter, fruit and honey. Stir a few times to mix.

Spoon the batter into cups and bake in pre-heated oven for about 15 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
_____


As you can see, these are pretty healthy since they have no sugar (sweetened with honey) and have little butter. They also have the healthy cereal and possible whole wheat flour. At this point, I used white flour to counter my really whole-grain cereal. When I use less sturdy cereal, I'm planning on going 1/2 white and 1/2 whole wheat flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment