OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Carpet, Walls and Guns


 When we built this house almost six years ago, the builder initially shipped 13' foot rolls of carpet instead of 17' (or 18' or whatever they are.) When they realized their mistake, they sold us over 2000 sq. feet of Berber carpet for $1000. At the time, we figured that we would install it in the basement. Once we decided that we didn't want wall to wall carpet in the basement, we used it for new carpet in the upstairs of a rental house. After that, we cut three rooms worth for bedrooms in the basement. For the last five years, the remaining rolls have lived on this pallet in the game room we are attempting to finish. 


Yesterday, we unrolled them one by one, measured them and figured out that we still have enough to carpet the two bedrooms in Alei's apartment. So, I haven't blogged about it YET, but we are on to our next building project in our usual fashion of "start the next big project before you finish the last one" - or THREE as of right now. In my positive moments, I am still claiming that we are going to finish the basement, the screened in porch and the fencing outside before the big building project begins. It is just in the planning, pricing and permit stages right now. 


Can you tell where we left off painting five years ago?


 It's super convenient in the basement right now. A few carpet rolls are running right down the middle of the fireplace area along with the baseboards.


And the other ones you have to climb over to enter the TV room area. 


Once I get the right half of the back room painted, we can move the carpet rolls back along the walls while they wait to be installed.

So, after cramming everything into the left side of the big back room, so I can paint the right side, I went down this morning to paint the first coat on the ceiling. See the blue ladder against the wall? That is my painting ladder.


And see the paint cans on the shelf? Yep, that's where my ceiling paint was waiting for me. Bad, bad planning. (I had to get James to crawl through the stuff under the pool table.)


And see this monkey? He keeps me company and talks non-stop while I paint. Bella plays happily in the play room and he TALKS - I've never had a child that talks so much!


You may be wondering how the guns play into this blog. Well, for about two years now, Elijah has been building me a gun collection. Whenever he is out playing and comes across a stick that resembles a gun, he brings it to me and asks me close my eyes. It started with a pistol collection that is actually on top of the cabinet, but now it's grown into an extensive rifle collection as well. (I don't even want to see the dust back there.) 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad for your progress. I bet 2 of my monkeys to put your's to the test...one with ADHD, and the one with autism.
    I'm glad you are heavily armed, especially living out there in the country!

    ReplyDelete