OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Saturday Progress

I love weekends that allow us to accomplish projects around the house. First thing this morning, we thoroughly cleaned out our chicken coop and added the wonderful contents to our second raised garden bed.


I have three hens sitting on eggs. At first, I was going to remove them and throw the eggs away, because I am sure they have been sitting on them longer than 21 days and are not going to hatch. Once I removed them, however, I felt bad and decided to give them a little more time, so I cleaned out the boxes and gave each hen nine eggs back. I don't know if they are adding to them, but now I can count every few days to see. If they are laying more on the pile, I'm not sure how to know which ones are old and need to be removed!

Here's our indoor cat, Lucy, who all of a sudden got brave and headed out with us today. Cats are strange animals!

After our chicken and garden progress, we headed to the Amish market today. We bought the plants I needed for my garden bed, lots of produce and eight baby chicks - four silkies and four polish. Once I got home and got them settled, it was raining and I didn't take a picture of them, but I will tomorrow.
I did get a produce picture however! We had home-made, whole-grain blueberry waffles with
pineapple, cantaloupe and honey-dew. I had my heart set on watermelon but they were still $10 each; at that price, my heart can wait.
My little ones dug in and yes, Elijah occasionally still sits on the table.

4 comments:

  1. you should mark the original 9 eggs with a sharpie marker & then when the hens put new ones in her pile you can take the new ones out. they really cant sit on more than 9 at a time anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy coming over to see what your family is up too! I do miss you over on xanga, but glad your some where where I can still watch your family grow!! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just looked back over this post (as i was anticipating a new one for today..but alas no! - dont go to my blog..it's been ages!) and man, y'all work hard! seriously hard! you guys are not afraid of hard work. you should be proud. those raised beds are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog 'cause of the linky thingy on Linny's blog. I LOVE reading about other large families livin' the farm life!

    ReplyDelete