OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Friday, September 2, 2011

Outside

Yesterday morning the kids and I spent some time cleaning up in the garden. I cleaned out the tomato plants and other dead vines and either fed them to the chickens or threw them in the compost tumbler. I really hope to plant a few fall items in the next few days, but I fear I may running too late. We eat a ton of broccoli, it's a fall crop and easy to freeze but I'm yet to locate broccoli plants or seeds.  I guess I need to look online. 


My watermelons had made a pretty nice comeback and I had four baby melons growing, but the guineas have eaten everything that even resembles a melon for the last month. I'm hoping the garden fence will deter them next year, but I'm concerned it won't. 


My corn grew nice and tall, but never developed mature ears. I think we are going to need to work on the soil and try again next year. 



We had about 8-10 trees fall during the hurricane. Two were nice big oaks that are now going to turn into the last batch of fence posts that we need. We constantly have pines fall behind the barn; they really need to just all be taken out. This is the scene between the barn and chicken shed. 



There are two on the barn, one on the chicken shed and one on the lumber storage container. JD took all three of our chain saws to the shop the morning after the storm; we will be prepared for the next time!


Thankfully, there is very little real damage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment