OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

What We're Using This Year

I realize any readers that don't homeschool will have about zero interest in what curriculum we are using to homeschool this year, but for those that are interested (and because this is about the only place  I record anything,) I present a brief list.


Gabriel and Alei have moved to the college age realm and Elijah is only three, so that leaves me with six "homeschoolers" this year. Moriah is using Switched on Schoolhouse, except for Teaching Textbooks math. This is the first time we have tried this program and I'm pretty happy with it after the first week. I'm very happy with their customer support, as well, both times I've had to call because the program is obviously smarter than I am.


Alyssa is attending a homeschool co-op program called Classical Conversations. It's rather expensive, academically challenging and only meets once a week, but I couldn't be more impressed with what she has learned the last four weeks. They just started a program with Bryan College to allow them college credit if they use the program through high school.


James and Ben have moved on to 4th grade. They are just beginning the 4th grade Math U See after completing three Math U Sees in the last two years. They are still completing the final few Explode the Code books while beginning Easy Grammar and cursive writing with Handwriting Without Tears. We are going back to finish the geography program of My Father's World, although realistically we will be picking and choosing projects because there isn't time for all of them! I am also planning on incorporating some of the map drawing that Alyssa uses at Classical Conversations.


Tori and Julia are tagging along with My Father's World with the boys while they are doing their own grade of Math U See, Handwriting Without Tears and Explode the Code. Our new big excitement is that Hooked on Phonics just arrived Saturday; so we will be beginning that as well as soon as I have a second to remove the shrink wrap and read the teacher book. I switched to Hooked on Phonics after a few recommendations from friends; I used Phonics Pathways last year and it bored Tori to tears. I'm hoping this approach will motivate her a bit more.


That's it in a nut-shell; too bad I can't teach it as fast as I typed this!

No comments:

Post a Comment