OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Birthday, Hair, Hair and Hair

Tori had a enjoyable birthday with her family. The high-light was that she got her long-awaited Nerf gun. It was the only gift she requested and she eagerly opened each other gift in great hope; ornery Moriah held it off until the end.

Tori chose a "pink, heart cake in a large rectangle" over a circle cake.

Since Elijah had a doctor appointment first thing this morning, we were forced to deal with the hair cut that Julia provided for him earlier in the day. Here's the front, but there was a great deal of trauma in the back as well.

The problem was that it was 9:00 p.m. by this point and poor Bud was tired. His least favorite thing in life is hair-cuts, with baths following a close second, and he was forced to have both.

He cried his way through most of the hair-cut and all of the bath. His little eyes were red and swollen and only improved after I pulled out a new bag of candy. (Thanks Ms. Wendy.)

While I was on a hair roll, there was no denying that the girls were looking severely over-due for a new hair-do. I had to face the reality that they both needed their hair re-done before church on Sunday. I then decided that I really didn't want to spend the entire week-end doing hair and I was going to try and get them both done today. I started taking Julia's out at 9:30 this morning and finished up Tori's at 6:30 p.m. I was actually thrilled that I finished before dinner, even though we ate late, instead of 10:00 p.m. I saved about two hours by saving their current parts; I actually banded each section and washed a section, then banded it again. I don't plan on doing that next time, since it's good for their hair to have different parts, but it sure helped today!

After standing on the kitchen floor all day, my legs ache. It was so worth is, however, to not have to repeat this hair scenario tomorrow. The exciting part of today is that tomorrow I get to do more exciting things - like organize down-stairs or tape the bathroom in preparation to paint!

What was a nice bonus today was the simple fact that Julia endured the hair process with no crying and only a tad of whining at the end. Sometimes I listen to hours of whining and crying - (and feel like joining her.)

3 comments:

  1. Jenny,
    His hair isnt that bad from the pictures. You really didnt have to cut to much.
    and ok, i had to laugh...he is wearing that "vote weepublican" t-shirt i made with an iron on transer. did i really pass that on? Asher wore that shirt into the voting booth the year President Obama was elected into office. It got such a good laugh from the poll workers. They were all elderly in stature.
    and for the record, i will say it again, Tori looks so incredibly sweet. she has such a sweet countance about her face! glad she had a good birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I read these "hair" posts I always wish we lived closer. I would love to come help with them. I never got much practice with cornrows in cosmetology school, but I would love to come help and practice it. Oh well, I bet(Lord willing) by the time we ever move back you'll have this down to a science and be a pro at it. I give you credit for doing it, I know it's not easy on the fingers.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering what the hair situation was with your girls when I first visited here but didn't want to ask so thanks for bringing it up. As an African-American female you learn in your rearing how to do your hair and most African-American women are frequent visitors to black salons (the #1 entrepreneur business in the black community). How in the world did you learn? I have 3 girls and then myself so just imagine my weekends. However salon visits are just part of our family budget or I would be forever chained to the sink :) Black haircare and maintenance should definitely be part of the training if you are raising a African female child. There is a lot on the Internet, however. If you haven't already (as I'm new here) do post about how you learned or are still learning the art/science of black hair care.

    ReplyDelete