OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Monday, August 6, 2012

A Small Peak of the Craziness

If I am going to be honest, I have so many packed full, crazy days that I have to shake my head in wonder at how I am going to cram Selah and Bella into them. The reality is that we are not just taking about adding a two and four year old to the mix, but a two and four year old that don't understand, or speak, any English and have never lived in a family environment. To help that sink in, just think that my girls have NEVER been to church, a store, a restaurant or owned anything! That means that we have tons to catch up with that would have happened naturally if they had been with us since birth. I have no doubt that they will catch up, it just is going to be an exhausting (but exciting) process to walk them through so many firsts. 

In the meantime, I honesty think that we have had more things break this adoption round than ever before. We have had every car require extensive work, both tractors break, two ACs go out and a rental house garage burn down. At the moment, we have some extensive, and expensive, Geothermal issues to deal with. Our under-ground tubes are leaking - the very tubes that they assured us never, ever leak when we spent the big bucks putting them in the ground. We have to make a decision if they are worth trying to repair or if we are going to have to put in a whole new well to run the Geothermal. Neither option are very reasonable with our current adoption expenses, but our AC is costing more to run right now than it would if it were running efficiently.

Here's the swamp in our side yard that is from the leaking lines. 


It's obviously a huge waste of water also (which is one of my biggest pet peeves in life, just ask my kids...); it's the equivalent of having a running hose all the time.


I decided to can peppers yesterday and sent a certain young man out to pick all the plants. Since there are only six, like the two pictured below, it should have only taken about five minutes to pick them clean. 


When I headed outside, after canning, these are the peppers left on the plants. I should have checked the work, as I will now be canning green peppers again tomorrow. 


The kids and I finally planted the two pear trees that have lived in their pots for at last two months. I have some really great helpers, but I have one "sulker"; he tends to be rather lazy and pouts while he works. I'm not sure if I should ignore it or discipline for it. 


Elijah and Julia were great help playing with the water. It was all good until a fight broke out over a pair of scissors and I sent them both in crying. 


Elijah found his last year's Christmas outfit and has worn it the better part of two days; corduroys and a sweater are just perfect for this time of year. I have flat out refused to take him to VBS tonight unless he wears summer-wear. 


After I took the above picture, I found this year's Christmas outfit in use as well. I know they look almost identical, but I got this year's on the 90% off rack at Kohl's, so I don't mind. 


I have called an end to the salsa and am just straight canning the remainder of the tomatoes and peppers. I'm going to post the salsa recipe below for those interested. 



"Dave's Salsa"
6 lbs. peeled and coarsely chopped tomatoes
2 lbs. seeded and chopped green peppers
1/4 - 1 lb. hot peppers, depending on taste
2 lbs. chopped white or yellow onions
2 T. chopped cilantro
1 T. salt
1/2 T. sugar
3 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 c. white vinegar
1 small can tomato paste

Combine all ingredients, EXCEPT tomato paste, in a large pot and simmer for about an hour. If juice collects on top, skim off. Right before you are ready to can, add the tomato paste and stir thoroughly. Spoon salsa into hot, sterilized jars and process in hot water canner for 15-20 mins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment