In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013


 After two days in Adama, where Brooke lives, we headed to Hawasa. My sister co-authored a story in the magazine that she writes for about missionaries that reside there and run an orphanage. It was a four hour drive from Adama.

 We really enjoyed our time with the missionary family. We also brought them paper copies of the magazine. See it here under the little girl's arm at the orphanage while she plays with Alei's hair.

 While we played with the kids, a wild monkey strolled through for our entertainment.

And the 100 year old tortoise that came with the property showed himself. 

 It was wonderful to meet the children that make up the Ebenezer Grace family. 

 Alei seems to find herself a special friend at each orphanage. While they are often cutie-pies like this one, her special friend at Brooke's orphanage (other than Hana) was a darling 12 year old boy that referred to Alei as his best friend.

We each had one day that the food and water got to our stomachs. The second day in Hawasa was Deb's day. After throwing up in the night, we were going to let her rest at the hotel while we hippo watched. She didn't want to miss the fun, however, so staggered down to breakfast and rested in the pew. 

Wi-fi was few and far between, so we were focused when the opportunity presented itself.
I'm afraid there were many times we had the local Ethiopians puzzled at our behavior.
 Debs perked up for our hippo watch.   

We only saw the heads of two hippos but we enjoyed the experience.  

Since the hippo head pictures aren't worth showing, I'll show a beautiful tree at the resort instead. Wish we could grow a tree like that - they had an entire restaurant under it.

After that, we were back on the road to Addis Ababa; we estimated it at about seven hours but I think it may be the first time we got somewhere sooner than we anticipated. Driving in Africa, with no seat-belts, is a different experience then American road-ways. Check out our distance to the cart in front of us.

Or the cart on the side of us.
Next post - back in Addis.

No comments:

Post a Comment