OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Recipe Organization

 I enjoy reading blogs about how to organize everything but I've never seen my recipe organization system - although I'm sure it's out there somewhere. A few years ago, my sister and I bought these recipe three ring notebooks at Costco. They came with pretty papers and stickers and we got right to work "scrap-booking" our recipes. The system works wonderfully! I have condensed three shelves of recipe books into one and can find what I actually want to try and my favorites much easier.

  
Now I literally dismantle cookbooks. I pull out (or copy) what I want to try and put that into a "try" folder. 


If it proves to be good enough and easy enough to keep, I then add it to the section in the notebook that is logical. Remember those old-fashioned hand-written recipes that people used to share? I wanted to keep all those in the original handwriting, so I just photo-copy the back and glue them right in. If something comes from a magazine, I just cut it out and glue it in.  The key is that I never add anything until it's something that I know I will use long-term.

  
Some pages are boring and some are pretty, but it's all my favorites in two binders. (The second houses breads and desserts and my extra papers.)



There are a few (very few) recipe books I am keeping intact. For those few, I'm going to make a "don't forget I exist" list with page numbers and put it in the notebook as well. It's been fun adding to it and very practical.



3 comments:

  1. What a GREAT idea! LOVE it!

    I gotta say, though, that I actually enjoy perusing all of my cookbooks to find new recipes. :) I have all of both of my grandmothers cookbooks. Truly a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are ones I wouldn't cut up! Some of my best recipes are from an old Amish cook book. I recently bought a new Amish cookbook; we'll see if it's as good.

      Delete
  2. Here's what I have done, when I make a new monthly menu.
    Type up a page for each dinner. Put items to thaw at the top of the page, so I don't forget, and cook time, so I plan ahead...check it each morning. When my teens were home, I even put directions for simple things, like mashed potatoes, so a teen could cook the entire meal if needed. Each page goes in a page protector, in a binder.
    Works great for us, and I'm not thumbing thru recipes all the time to find the one for that night. I keep "try me" recipes in the front pouch of the binder. All the rest of my books stay in the cabinet most of the time.

    ReplyDelete