OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Guinea Crises #1 - (I'm Sure There Will Be a #2 at Some Point)

I drug myself out of bed this morning after a whopping four hours sleep. I got the kids up, fed a few and sat down to drink my hot tea and cut coupons for my planned trip to the grocery store when....Ben came running in yelling that all the baby guineas were out of their cage. I called everyone to come help. Turns out that they are so small that they fit out of the bars of the baby cage. On top of that, the chicken coop door was open (to help keep them cool) so the babies all had access to outside. Considering we have foxes that pluck off full-grown chickens, I feared that we had lost several. We started collecting them from the hen house and the chicken yard. We ended up locking all the big chickens inside at one point and the babies started coming out from under the hen house - nine more to be exact. We found three more sitting under a bush on the edge of the woods. Once we couldn't find anymore, I started moving them to a different cage and counting - 30. I am really amazed, but we found every one. Now my problem is that this cage doesn't have a leaf-proof roof, so JD has a job for tomorrow (after he fixes the blue car!) Poor guy, but I'm just not a qualified roofer (nor a qualified car repairman)!
Look at this baby; they go to sleep when you pet them.

Good night. I'm hoping for a better nights sleep and a calmer morning tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. We added 8 guineas to our chicken flock a month or so ago. They were already a month old, so we were able to put them right out in the pen with the chickens. They definitely are escape artists! My 10 year old learned that he could take a laundry basket and set it down on several at a time to catch them! (They are doing much better about staying in the pen now. I plan to let them out in the yard in a few weeks.)

    ReplyDelete