OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Our Baby

I've been faithfully paying my Y membership for over a year and have never gone. I kept paying because we get it cheaply, since Gabriel works for them, and my teenagers do go and work out. Since Gabriel is moving away in the fall and I'll be forced to pay full-price, I thought this summer was a good time to try it out and see if I want to continue. So, this week I've tried three different classes while the kids have had a blast at a few kid classes as well. All the kids, except Elijah, that is! Elijah doesn't stay with anyone outside of the family, we've been blessed that Aunt Deb keeps him when we have to leave him. We are still at the point that we alternate staying with him in the nursery at church as well.


So, at this point I am taking all the kids to the Y with me except Lijah - he is staying home with Alei, who he calls Lee-Lee. He misses his kids while they are gone, but not enough to go in that room full of strangers!


I don't know how long this will last; he is turning two later this month. But for now, he'll be home with Lee-Lee for that one hour three times a week. I don't think it's worth pushing him yet; I'd rather he feel safe and loved.

Alei took these pictures of him yesterday while they played together. And someday, I know too well, he will want to do all kinds of things without his Momma in tow; but for now, he can continue to be our baby.

4 comments:

  1. oh Jenny, what a sweet little darling boy! Dont you want to just grab him & squeeze him & kiss him until you get your fill (which is never!)?! I could anyway..he looks so squeezable & kissable in those pictures!! So sweet! I agree with you wholeheartedly. There is no reason to make him feel uncomfortable if he doesnt need to be. Esther has started having issues going into the nursery @ church...the last 2 sundays so we may be pulling her out & sitting in the parents room. For the longest time Abigail wouldnt go to children's church & she would sit with us nicely. Now she goes to children's church & LOVES it. David Asher - the last 2 weeks has had a hard time....2 weeks ago he got "kicked out" of the toddler class...& last week he got put in the corner & then started to pull his pants down & show everyone the goods! But the teacher handled it (as she is a mom to 2 boys!)so he may be needing a break as well. I think if the kid is uncomfortable (elijah's case) or disruptive (asher's case) then the teacher's or workers should not have to be subjected to that child's tears plus it's so stressful when they just arent ready or prepared - the child that is!
    So you go Mom,....let him know he is safe....that will not come back to haunt you...but making them feel insecure & forcing them at an early age...will cause problems in the future....
    Remember Alei throwing up on everyone in the nursery because she wouldnt stay!! Fun times!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have more than a few people who are bent on "curing" Christiana of her separation/stranger anxienty. I love the suggestion that I should just get her out more. I need to be better about explaining that she really gets the least amount of attention at home so I'd really like to take the opportunity to hold her when their are extra hands for the other two. But I don't usually get a chance to say that because no one can hear me over her screaming. :) Trust me, she won't quit. Just hand over the baby so I can have a little adult conversation.

    She routinely cries from about 3-6 pm if I'm not holding her. I don't hold her non-stop at home and often ignore her complaining, but if we've gotten out of the house I want to enjoy it and not listen to her fussing. It's just not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH Wendy - all over Chuck Grey's suit! Amazing....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you believe our boys are turning two???

    ReplyDelete