OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Vehicles and Guineas

I'm really thankful that we had renters move in Tuesday; it made yesterday's vehicle crises more bearable. It all started with a normal day - JD dropped the Toyota off to be inspected and took the truck to work. The garage called to tell us that the Toyota failed due to a faulty air-bag and it can only be fixed by the dealer. Great - there's no better place to be ripped off than the dealer!

Later in the day, JD needed to get to work on the base and the base won't allow the truck on (due to farm plates) and won't let the Toyota on until it passes inspection. Virginia law allows you to drive a vehicle with a rejection sticker for 15 days, but not the base. So, I ended up trading the van to JD and driving the truck home. Now, mind you, this is a big truck - you know the kind with the four tires across the back instead of two. It also has no air-conditioner and scares me when it shifts, but back to my story......

I came home in the truck, but needed the van in time to take the children to VBS. JD had to juggle his schedule but made it home just in time for me to load them up and head for the church. I noticed a few miles down the road that the radio quit working. Then a few more miles down the road, I looked down and the speedometer wasn't working. Then I heard the engine die and I had to coast that bad boy off the side of the major road we were driving on. It wasn't going to start either, so I called JD and told him of our predicament. It was nice and hot sitting in the heat of the van, but I wasn't about to unload my crew beside the busy road or cross the big ditch next to the road. (I only removed Tori and Julia briefly to let them go potty next to the road!)

JD towed it to a church parking lot and made a few attempts to get it started, but that wasn't happening. We then brought the children home and we headed back out. First we waited for the lock-smith to break into the Toyota, since JD let the repair shop lock the key in thinking that we had a spare to open the door (it's been missing for some time.) Then, he waited for the tow-truck to drag the van home.

Today, JD is attempting to fix the van; the Toyota is going to have to go in the shop after he drives it 13 hours on Saturday to take his Mom home. In the mean time, I drove the Toyota to take Alei to the Dr. this morning and wouldn't you know it, I got pulled over. Thankfully, she was only checking on the date of the rejection sticker and it's reason for being rejected. When I told her that it had to go to the dealer for the air-bag, she said, "I bet that will be expensive." Yep, that's what we are thinking.......I'm glad the house rented.

The best part of it all was watching how thrilled Elijah was to have a tow-truck deliver the van. He has talked about it all day.

Overall, it's been a good van; this is the first time it's broken down on me.

Our baby guineas, that I ordered over two months ago, were finally delivered today. We got 30 and everyone was ready to hold one.

I was happy that none died in transit and the kids were elated to add some guineas to our chicken assortment.

Elijah felt the need to kiss this one on the head.

They are happy out in the brooder in the chicken shed. Hopefully, they will grow up to be champion tick-eaters, which is the reason we got them.


Julia asked if we got to go to VBS tonight, instead of sitting by the side of the road like last night. I told her that I was going to take her in the truck. She asked if Dad was going to drive; I told her that I was. She looked alarmed and asked, "Does Dad know this?"

No comments:

Post a Comment