OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Radical by David Platt

I am a few chapters into the book Radical by David Platt. It is a very convicting look at Christianity versus "the American dream." I believe he is right, that we have taken the message of the Bible and tweaked it to fit our "American dream." We have adopted the idea of what we think God and Jesus are based more on our American view-points than what is written in the Bible.

Here's a thought provoking paragraph from chapter two:
Jesus' words at the end of the Sermon on the Mount:
Not everyone who says to me, "Lord, Lord," will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?" Then I will tell them plainly, "I never knew you, Away from me, you evildoers!"

Jesus was not speaking here to irreligious people, atheists or agnostics. He was not speaking to pagans or heretics. He was speaking to devoutly religious people who were deluded into thinking that they were on the narrow road that leads to heaven when they were actually on the broad road that leads to hell.

We have been told all that is required is a one-time decision, maybe even mere intellectual assent to Jesus, but after that we need not worry about his commands, his standards or his glory. We have a ticket to heaven, and we can live however we want on earth. Our sin will be tolerated along the way. Much of modern evangelism today is built on leading people down this road and crowds flock to it, but in the end it is a road built on sinking sand, and it risks disillusioning millions of souls.

__________

I'm sure I'll have more to say in the coming days about the book, but I already highly recommend it. It is a small, easy-read in spite of it's thought provoking message!

3 comments:

  1. Oh cool!!!! I think I may get that book! Sounds like a good, but convicting read! Be a part of the world, but seperate from it! We have been slowly tearing away from the world...at least trying to. But I tell ya, Satan is using his free reign down here as much as possible! It is a very scarey truth. But all these things shall come to pass...Sounds like a book worth reading! Thanks for the post!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished this book!
    Really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete