OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Julia Continued

When I re-read my yesterday Julia post, I just wanted to re-emphasize that I can't imagine my life without Julia and I would adopt her again in a heart-beat. I think adopted kids can really suffer from any behavior issues being labeled as "adoption-related" or "attachment-related." Quite frankly, I have seen issues in my biological children that I would quickly classify as adoption-related IF they were adopted. It is often an impossible task to correctly classify the root behavior challenges in children. I am beginning the paperwork to see a counselor that can perhaps refer us to someone for testing. I am still not completely convinced that her behavior is due to her beginning life, but hopefully we can receive some help either way.

I whole-heatedly agree with my commenting friend, Shi, that most people, even those from ideal family settings, could benefit from some counseling at some point, adopted or not.

I'll keep you posted.

On a fun note, I found the perfect t-shirt for Julia's birthday. It says, "we can't all be princesses, some people have to sit on the side-lines and wave at me." That really sums her up!

4 comments:

  1. where did you get that shirt & do they make them in adult sizes??

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Wendy, I'm afraid I only saw them in child-size, BUT, if they did make them - you would be the perfect canidate. How did I end up with a couple of daughters that are so much more like you than me???

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Jenny, The shirt sounds cute, I have also seen one that says, "I didn't ask to be a princess, but if the crown fits..."
    Have a blessed day!
    love,
    Shi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sat my then 4 year old daughter on the counter one day and looked her in the eye. Molly, "God gave you 3 sisters, you are not the only princess in this house." No, she said, "But I'm the only Perfect Princess."

    ReplyDelete