OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Double Birthday

Honestly, I think it's a great idea for large families to have two kid's birthdays on the same day. Since Julia and Elijah are close in age, we can make both of them quite happy with the same celebration. Although we are having the official birthday cook-out tomorrow, we had plenty of birthday fun yesterday also. Aunt Deb came the night before to be here for birthday morning. 


I hosted a non-birthday Norwex party, but kids came with their moms to play and we concluded with awesome cup-cakes that Alei's friend made them. Elijah's were Despicable Me and they were the hit of the day.



Julia's were very pretty, girly flowers.



I had to take Moriah to a Dr, appointment in the late afternoon, so we had the idea of getting Chinese food for dinner. I have never, ever gotten take-out Chinese for our entire family, so I picked a spot and headed in for negotiations on some large platters.  


Let's just say that the two men there did not speak English much better than I speak Mandarin. It was a comical game of charades, writing prices and counting with my fingers. A lady in line told me that there is usually a woman who speaks English, but she must have been out sick that day. Honestly, when they told me "sit, sit," I really had no idea what we were eating for dinner; I only knew I was paying $60 for it. It was one of those times that I could barely keep it together and finally lost it when I realized Moriah kept turning around to laugh. Once I started laughing, the cook started laughing also and we all three stood there laughing while the "cashier" kept rambling at me in Chinese, with large hand motions. I had no idea what he was trying to communicate to me. 


In the end, it was quite a lot of food for the money and we all enjoyed the unusual birthday dinner. Dinner was followed by presents and although it was getting to be bed-time, they were thrilled beyond measure. 


We got Julia a Leap-Pad; I'm excited about it for her.


Elijah got a new wagon; we are thinking it will be fun for him, Selah and Bella to pull each other and stuff around the yard.


We concluded with a round of Happy Birthday and one candle. We are going to have real cake and the correct number of candles at the cook out tomorrow night. (It may be an exaggeration to call Elijah's dinosaur cake "real cake"; it is my last attempt at cake decorating unless I take a class or something - it's an embarrassing mess of a cake.)

2 comments:

  1. Hope to see pictures of your dinosaur cake. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun.

    In January, our family has 5 birthdays in 6 days.

    Our twins were 2 years younger than the next oldest brother (same week birthdays). We happened to have several family friends that had brother/sister combos the same ages as ours, so we had quite a few joint birthday parties for the 3 kids and all of their mutual friends. (We even had sleep overs, with the boys downstairs and the girls upstairs.)

    :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete