OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Monday, November 9, 2009

The Cow Pasture and Chirpy

It finally dried out enough this weekend to till the future cow pasture. It's a lot of work to prepare the soil and grow grass, then we have to fence the 2 plus acres!

Looking the other direction -

Yesterday it was warm and beautiful, so I had the little guys outside taking turns on the 4-wheeler. Julia and Elijah don't really grasp the turn taking thing, so if it's not their turn, there's crying until the 4-wheeler is out of sight. While I didn't get any pictures of the rides, I did get a few afterwards. Elijah was loving on Lincoln, our dalmatian mutt, until he didn't know what to think. He is the nicest dog, but a bit insecure. The poor dog was obviously mistreated in his former home because he is scared of so many things. I acquired him a few years ago when he was dumped on our street.

While JD had Elijah on the 4-wheeler, Julia and I were walking around taking a few pictures. We saw that Chirpy, our resident rooster, was out of the fence and Julia was a little nervous. I assured her that she was fine since she was with me (and I honestly don't think Chirpy had been mean in months.) No sooner were the words out of my mouth, than Chirpy puffed up his neck, charged at Julia and attacked the back of her leg. I promptly kicked him off of her. When JD returned, he scooped him up, "spanked" him and tossed him back over the fence.
Poor little Julia cried and cried, more out of offense than pain. JD told her that if she wanted, we could eat Chirpy for dinner. This is kind of a joke, because we've never eaten any animal on our farm. Anyway, Julia cheered up immediately and was thrilled with the idea of eating Chirpy.

30 minutes later we were heading in for the night when Julia told me that she was hungry. I asked her what she would like for a snack. She very seriously replied, "Chirpy, remember Mom? Dad said I could eat Chirpy!" That idea doesn't bother this little Liberian in the least!

1 comment:

  1. Julia is my kind of girl! no use in having so many consumers.....make that rooster useful! (who am i to talk...i have a rogue rooster, Elvis, that i cant(wont) get rid of. it just wont seem like home if we let him go). Lincoln looks like he has Great Dane in him from the profile. Anyway, I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete