OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Soccer and Issues with Questions

We are thankfully nearing the end of the soccer season. I'm quite thrilled to be done with the time commitment for now! Here's James and Ben playing before Ben's game -


So, part of the reason I decided to not send my difficult learners to school for a year was that I didn't want Ben to hear the other kids make comments about him being Liberian or having an accent or any other ugly thing that some kid would say some day. I just didn't think he was strong enough or established enough to deal with it yet. Well, we got it at soccer again the other day. We've played this other team twice now. The first time, Ben complained about a particular boy on the other team saying rude things to him. I played it down and hoped we wouldn't have to deal with him again. So Saturday, Gabriel took him to his soccer game and they were playing "mean boy's" team again. This time, after picking on Ben, the boy told him, "I don't like you because you are black." Well, this has brought the Momma bear out in me and I immediately wanted to speak to the boy's parents. I've waited a few days to calm down and now I think I'm going to call the other team coach and ask for the contact number for little #5! What do you guys think? Should I assume the parents are better than this and give them a chance to straighten out their son's thinking? I really feel like I at least owe that to Ben. The good news is that Gabriel took a ton of pictures during the game, so we have no doubt which number the bully is! (I'm not picturing him, however, that could be a scandal in our small county!)

Like most Liberian boys, Ben is a natural runner and soccer player. We only need to work on his agression; he doesn't like to take the ball if someone on the other team has it. It's a nice character trait, except in sports.

Any suggestions before I make the call?

2 comments:

  1. i definitely would try to speak with the parents. i hope the coach cooperates. that makes me so mad. look at Ben's sweet face in the pictures. i cant stand mean little kids. if you want me to talk to them i will. i love to handle situations like this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I hate situations like that. So sorry you are having to deal with this. That being said, I would call and start with something like, "I knew as a parent you would want to know that..." I think it would make her/him less defensive.
    You are a greaet mom!

    ReplyDelete