OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

First Week at CC

We had our first day of Classical Conversations this week. There are six classes and I have a student in five of them; it was a great day for all of them. It was so cute to see Selah so completely excited and counting down the days, when she did not enjoy public school previously. Tori, Julia and I are taking the Essentials class in the afternoon; it is hardcore grammar complete with sentence diagramming and then writing using IEW. Both are a stretch and seem to do a far better job than any English class I ever took in high school and college. I honestly didn't understand the Classical model when I began CC, and there are still parts that are rather mysterious to me, but the memorization is definitely the way to go. I am pretty much demanding that Tori and Julia do the memory master program, which means they memorize items in every subject every week and I am hoping to have Elijah and Selah join them. We are hitting the year memorizing each week thoroughly, including the chapter of Ephesians 5.
 
Here is Julia when we got home the first day while the other kids started watching a movie - she was going over her notes from Essentials. I'm pretty excited about my white board; since we had zero walls to hand one on, we put it on the shelf and it comes on and off with hooks.
 

2 comments:

  1. We are doing CC, too. A kindergartner and two preK's, and one in childcare (they offered to let her enroll but I declined). We are loving it so far, now just to figure out how to do the other things (math, handwriting and reading) without over-Pinteresting it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, they'll probably know more grammar rules at the end of the year than this college grad! I always know if it "sounds" right, but don't know the rules. Great idea for hanging the board!

    ReplyDelete