OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Book(s) Review

How about a quick review of what I'm reading? I just finished this book and really enjoyed it. I bought it on a whim while I was ordering some books for my children, but it was really interesting. Of course, I love reading about Africa! It's written by a lady who lives in South Africa and struggles to relate to the S. African black population beyond being the foreign white woman. It raises some serious issues of being able to relate to Africans when their perception (which is generally true) is that white people don't go hungry. She tells the stories of several people in the book, all true and all interesting.


I am only about a quarter of the way into Sacred Parenting. It is very good and concentrates only on what parents are called to "receive" by parenting. There's no "fix the kid" theories, only "change the perspective of the parents" ideas.

Finally, here are four of the five books recommended to me to aid with my current Julia issues. I have only begun Parenting the Hurt Child and Beyond Logic.

Parenting the Hurt Child is beginning so basic that I don't feel I've read far enough to really gain any insight yet, but I'm encouraged that it's coming. I really like it's summary on why therapy doesn't work unless the therapist is attachment-trained.

Beyond Logic is interesting; I feel it's going to be more practical with older children, so I'm kind of reading it more from a James and Ben view than a Julia view. I am not sure what to think about his theory that children are only driven by love and fear; where does one mesh emotions like jealousy? It seems too simplistic, but I'm keeping an open mind.



Anyone read any of these books that would like to comment?

5 comments:

  1. I've got Sacred Parenting on my nightstand right now! Isn't it fabulous?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote this post for rockstar mom.. But then I thought you may enjoy it as well...

    http://thetaylorfamilycircus.blogspot.com/2010/04/adoption-my-life-as-i-know-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Sacred Parenting... the others are okay :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever read any of Nancy Thomas' books? I have the one called, Dandelion on my Pillow Butcher Knife Beneath. You can tell by the title that it is pretty deep but it has been invaluable to me. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The connected Child is my very favorite book on adoption issues!!!

    ReplyDelete