OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Just When I Was Going to Blog...

My story sounds like the traditional "the dog ate my home-work" story, but it's true...JD ran out the door to pick Moriah up at soccer practice and I was preparing to do a quilt update post, when the phone rang. JD was calling to let me know that the old woman (who's not been the coziest neighbor) called to tell JD that she had my white silkie chicken and was trying to keep her five dogs away from it. I yelled for James and Ben, grabbed JD's flannel shirt and ran out to the van. On the two minute trip down the dark, narrow road in my enormous van, JD called back to say that she couldn't hold on to silkie, but she put all her dogs in so that they wouldn't hurt the chicken.

Long story short, we came back for more appropriate winter gear and flashlights, but we couldn't find little silkie in the 100 acre woods. I'm hoping that he somehow survives the cold night, the foxes and raccoons, and her dogs in the morning long enough that we can find him in the day light. This is the hard part about country living - we've lost several cats and lots and lots of chickens.
Something is currently killing my guinea hens, one every few days. Whatever it is doesn't drag it off, like the foxes do, but kills it and eats only a portion and leaves the very unwelcome mess for us to come home to. So far, it's been only during the day when we are gone. I DON'T know what my wimpy dogs are doing while this is going on , but I'm back to thinking that we are going to have to get a "real" watch dog in the spring.

So, tomorrow I'll plan on my quilt update post; I still have to figure out how to border a quilt. I'm thinking that I'm going to keep going on my little sewing time over Chirstmas and whip out some twirl skirts for Julia! Oh, and Alyssa is going to start her own quilt for a very special somebody as soon as Grandma picks out squares from her suitcase of already-cut quilt squares and sends them to us.

2 comments:

  1. Jenny, do you have easy instructions to do a quilt like the one you are making? I have never done one, but would like to start.

    Thanks, Laura

    ReplyDelete