OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Four Days of Fun Ending in a Bit of Crises

I'm typing this post slightly after midnight while JD is at the ER with Alei. We had a wonderful family trip this weekend and dear friends from out-of-town visit tonight when tragedy struck. The kids were playing out in the dark when Alei twisted her ankle in a hole. I didn't get too worked up until I saw her ankle, it was swollen excessively and had a huge lump on the side that almost screamed "this is serious." So, off she and JD went to the ER where I don't expect they will be home until early in the morning. The poor girl, it seems if an accident happens, it's quite often her!

I intended on blogging today about our wonderful time away, but I'll just save that for tomorrow and show a few preparation pictures. Although we were only going to be gone for three days, there is still a lot of planning and packing for 12 people! I did better than usual in the organizational area this time; we weren't missing any essentials and yet I didn't over pack as much as I used to. I tasked three year old Julia with packing the sodas into the cooler. Since soda ranks pretty high on her list of favorite things, she took her job quite seriously!

Here she wheeled the cooler over so the other kids would have the opportunity to admire her packing technique. It's always nice to have a posse of people available to congratulate you on your accomplishments.

I let the four oldest children fend for themselves in the clothes packing department, but packed for myself, JD, and the five youngest kids. So, it still took me two suitcases for 3 days! We also crammed in four last minute hair-cuts that needed to be done.

I'm going to bed anxious to show some of the Kings Dominion pictures tomorrow, but praying that Alei's foot will be a quick recovery. The way it was distorted appeared very alarming and I hope that it's not broken! More news in the morning. I'm still up at 1:00 a.m. because Julia obviously had a longer nap that she needed and won't go to sleep. While I was dozing off by her bed, I spent time wondering how old Tori and Julia are going to have to be before they aren't frightened by bed-time. A good gauge may be that Ben still won't go down to his room alone at night. At my house, the fear of the dark issue falls along Liberian lines, which is strange since the common Liberian never has electricity.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes a broken ankle is better than not. Hopefully very little damage is done. Poor thing! She will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that breaks are many times much easier to heal than tears or sprains! Prayers!

    Also my Liberians are big afraid of the dark. They will now go upstairs at night alone, but they will turn every light on on the way and usually leave them on the way back down! Caleb tells me that many "scary" things happened at night in Liberia, such as being robbed at knife point, gun fire in the compound and running from that gun fire to the bush. No wonder they are afraid of the dark!! Thankful we have lights for them.

    Delighting in Him

    ReplyDelete