OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Monday, January 4, 2010

Back to the Grind

Today marks the beginning of our back to normal life. JD has been home the last two weeks, allowing me to sleep in most of those days! We have so enjoyed the casual days without school, but all fun must give way back to the norm of life. Today we are starting back to school and JD headed back to work. JD drove Grandma back home on Saturday and I finished packing up the Christmas decorations.

On a good note, I finally got rid of our excess 10 roosters. Thanks to them, we haven't had any farm fresh eggs in months. I put them on Craigslist for free a few times and always had people respond but never show up. Saturday a man came with his father to take the roosters for breeding. We were relieved they weren't going to be eaten, but in reality I was giving them to whoever came for them. It was freezing outside and James, Ben and I headed out to catch them for the taker. When I turned around, the rooster that I had just handed the older man was laying on the ground, unable to stand up. I immediately thought that he must have broken the rooster's wings and started to freak out. I figured I misunderstood his broken English and they were going to have them on the grill anyway, so transporting them would be easier if they just broke their wings. I asked him to please not do that in front of my boys. The nice man said, "no problem" and proceeded to "fix" the wings. It was quite remarkable as I had no idea that you could fold chicken wings in a way that they couldn't move. As soon as he showed me, I looked at Ben and asked, "have you ever seen that before?" thinking that technique would be pretty handy for transporting chickens in Liberia, but he shook his head no with a still anxious look on his face from thinking the rooster was hurt and his Mom was about to have an anxiety attack. Anyway, in the end, the man tipped Ben and James $20 for catching the roosters for him, which really made their day!

So, as most years, our New Year goals involve eating healthier and I'm preparing to start painting the whole upstairs. It's going to be slow going, but slow is better than not at all.

Since I haven't taken any pictures in the last few days, I present the contrast of my oldest and youngest sons on Christmas morning.

Have a blessed day and a blessed New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment