OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Weekend

I think I have figured out why Julia never plays with her play kitchen - it's because I let her make big messes in the kitchen and they have proven to be more fun. She played at least an hour with her play dishes, water and the popcorn kernels that she dug out of the bottom of the bowl. I still stand by the idea that I would rather clean up a five minute mess than listen to an hour of whining.


I haven't blogged about miss Julia for a while. After having her tested at the Attachment Center in Charlottesville, they wanted her treated by attachment therapists even though she technically didn't have an attachment disorder. It has been a frustrating process to even get them to explain what they think she needs help for. On top of that, they won't release their information to me, but only to a certified therapist that works with them. To compound the matter, none of the select therapists will bill my insurance. I really feel that I was led to believe that once we moved passed testing into therapy, my insurance could be billed, but technically it can't because the therapy is providing training for us instead of directly treating her. I kindly explained that $10,000 cash was out of the question when I have two insurance providers. I furthermore kindly explained that each and every month we are still paying a hefty adoption loan and I adopted these children with the knowledge that although there may be issues, we had solid insurance that could cover those bills. I got no sympathy, not that I need sympathy, but I do need them to be willing to provide the testing information to a therapist that is willing to bill insurance.

The amazing thing is that just being told that she doesn't have an attachment disorder has freed me to discipline her as "a normal child" and that has provided some favorable results. On top of that, she seems to be out-growing the clingy, clingy thing she used to do for hours a day. So, all in all, unless something works for therapy that is soon and reasonable, we may really not need it!

________________

We are enjoying the beautiful weekend. We had a local family over yesterday during the day and a stop by our nephew and his girlfriend last night on the way to the beach. Tomorrow we are going to hit the water park after church one more time - the weather is getting cooler!

My big kids are on their final day of driving, but it's a long day. They spent the night in Oklahoma City last night and are driving 11 1/2 hours to Durango, CO today; they have passed through a total of four states today. They have really enjoyed their time on the road together and are anxiously awaiting to see the city that Gabriel will call home for the next year. Elijah keeps saying that Brother and Lee-Lee (Alei) should "come home red car;" poor little guy doesn't understand!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Saw you mentioned on K's blog that you are an hour from DC and I am too so I thought I'd stop in and say Hi :)

    ReplyDelete