OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Attachment Center

So, today was our big day with Julia at the attachment center in Charlottesville, VA. JD and I left at 6:30 a.m. since we had to be there by 8:30. My sister got on the road with Julia and Elijah around 8:00 for Julia's appointment at 10:00. My sister then took Elijah to the Children's Museum for the two hours that we had to be with Julia. At noon we all broke for a one hour lunch, then my sister headed home with both little kids while JD and I had to stay for the afternoon as well. By the time we arrived home, it was a full 12 hour day and I only saw Elijah for a quick lunch. Thankfully, he did really well for my sister most of the day.

The surprising conclusion is that both doctors concluded that Julia does NOT have an attachment disorder; while this is good news, it doesn't mean she is in the clear. As Alei put it so well - "well, she has something!" So true, and the psychologists saw the something as well! So, they are going to be analyzing the videos, our paperwork, their notes and give us a recommendation. They already referred me to a few "attachment" psychologists, so they still think she will benefit from their care.

So, all in all, it's kind of a mystery to me, but it's a step in the right direction. Although I know there is still an obstacle in our path, it was a bit of relief to hear them rule out a true attachment disorder.

3 comments:

  1. Definitely a relief, but I hope you get some answers as to what is going on soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jenny, it stinks when you dont get a definitive answer! But at least they are looking into it & didnt send you away empty handed.

    I know what's wrong with my brats (i mean that in the most loving of ways)....sin nature! (but me too so who am I to throw stones!?)

    But seriously still praying.

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. That is good news. Have you ever read any articles from the No Greater Joy web site. I've been reading their articles about whining and screaming particularily in little girls because we've had issue with that too. Maybe there are some things there that could help you.

    ReplyDelete