OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Friday, May 21, 2010

Tori's Tooth

After Tori's tooth has dangled for weeks, I finally pulled it this morning at breakfast. While I'm incredibly squeamish regarding medical injuries, pulling teeth doesn't phase me. It would be interesting to know how many teeth I've pulled since Tori is teeth-loser #7.
This is Tori's first lost tooth, although #2 is only about a week behind. We are always looking for clues to her actual age since she was born in the bush of Africa where they don't concern themselves with birth-certificates, birth-dates or calenders. According to the adoption agency, Tori would not be five until next month. Since that was obviously off, we did a bone-scan and moved her birthday up six months, which was still quite conservative; she may actually be six months older than that.

Having adopted kids older than babies, I'm thankful for all the firsts we do get to experience. While we never saw Tori's first smile or first steps, we can celebrate her first big tooth.

4 comments:

  1. My Brandon is six but will be 7 in August and he just lost that same tooth a few days ago. My others lost this tooth closer to the beginning of 6 but that was the age for my older two. She is just precious. My Brandon was so excited to lose his first tooth-he and only one other child hadn't lost a tooth yet so he was ready-the second one is lose too but not quite ready to pull yet-he is working on it though. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being in the same boat with my Ethiopian children, I understand the looking to every clue to guess age. At the same time, my two biological daughters have taught me to not put too much weight in any "averages". My two biological daughters are 15 months apart. They both lost their first 4 teeth in the same 6 month time span, with the younger loosing her first only weeks after my older daughter. My younger daughter was not quite five when she started loosing them! They have both lost 8 teeth at this point and my younger daughter has them all back in (she is not even seven yet), but my older daughter still only has 6 back in. There are no differences in genetics, nutrition, dental care, ect. and I am very sure of when they were born, but if I had adopted them I would age my younger daughter at least a year older! Anyway, for what it is worth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. she is so precious! so happy for her. did you let her watch "the tooth fairy"? it was cute. i dont remember anything unacceptable for her age but i could be forgetting. i know my abby watched it. oh well. tell Tori we said congratulations.

    ReplyDelete