OUR PLANS MULTIPLIED

In the beginning, JD adamantly only wanted two children. I thought that four would be perfect. Once we caught God's vision of putting orphans into families, our plan was multiplied by God. We are currently blessed with 12 children; five biological, six adopted and one more waiting in Ethiopia. Our first adoption was from the U.S., the next three were from Liberia, West Africa, and our last two were from Ethiopia. We are supporting our 12th child in Ethiopia after her adoption could not pass court.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Juice Experiment

So, I bought a juicer. My chiropractor has convinced me that it would decrease the inflammation in my back if I did even a six day juice fast. Secondly, we watched "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" on Netflix (I'd highly recommend it) and wanted to try juicing on a lesser level than the guy in the documentary. 




I went for really healthy; I think we eat enough fruits that I wanted to focus on getting some really good green vegetables down everyone. I chose kale, spinach, carrots and apples; according to my chiropractor "if you throw an apple in any veggie mixture, it'll be good." That may be the case for a man who eats no chicken nuggets and cheesecake, but I wasn't thrilled with the taste. My children all dutifully tried a drink and said the same thing that I was thinking, "it isn't too bad." I can guarantee if I try to serve them a glass in the morning, they will politely decline (and I can't blame them.)


I'm going to have to go online and find some recipes that are perhaps a little less green. I may decide that it's an acquired taste and try a glass a day, but I'm not jumping on the idea of nothing but this for six days yet! (Our chicken is in the oven!)


Any juicers out there have any advice? I'd also like to know what to do with the pulp; it seems way too wasteful to not use it in some soup or something.

3 comments:

  1. My husband did 8 days. He was ok during it but refuses to do it again. Also a complete juice fast requires access to the potty at all times.
    Sweet potatoes, carrots, orange and alittle lemon was good.
    Carrot, lemon, strawberry and ginger was very good.
    I couldn't do greens. My husband put garlic with them and it killed some of the taste.
    I found a YouTube video that a lady made crackers with the pulp. That might be decent with salsa?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We juice every morning right now. The green is a bit hard to handle at first, but it grows on you if you stick with it.

    Our recipe is this:

    Kale
    collards
    spinach
    cabbage
    celery
    broccoli
    apples
    carrots
    kiwi
    oranges


    Various amounts of each, but we usually end up having 6 oz of fruit juice 6 oz of veggie juice and mix them together.

    For the pulp, it works well in soup, but can make it (the soup) too strong and really thick, since the pulp absorbs a ton of water. We compost most of our pulp. If you have chickens or other animals, they might like to eat it. Rabbits enjoy it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you mind if I ask how much your juicer cost? We have a blend tech and have made "veggie smoothies". My family doesn't like it at all, my husband will tolerate it. Me, I look at it as medicine and a way to better health so I'm pretty "game" and don't mind it so much.

    I have a friend who has started the "reboot" fast as well. I must be so "toxic" and have so much for my body to get rid of...because after I feel good for the morning, my hips usually hurt, I get a headache and I shut down...I've never gotten very far because I feel so bad. (I think my hips hurt because I was told I might have rheumatoid arthritis...and maybe the juice is actually attacking the toxins in my hips...wouldn't that be GREAT!)

    I'm "determined" to do it, "one day"...because I think I need a good cleansing, but I don't "have time" to go through the reboot process...so it seems.

    Thanks for sharing all God is doing in your wonderful family, so excited for the new addition and hopefully "additions"!!
    Ya'll are such and inspiration!! :O)
    Erin in FL

    ReplyDelete